Irving, Texas. January 24, 2014 –
During January, several unlocked vehicles were broken into in the Plymouth Park neighborhoods. It appears that the suspects were opportunistic juveniles. Irving Police recommends everyone remain diligent in practicing crime prevention and have listed the following tips. Suspicious vehicles and persons in the area should be immediately reported to police.
Crime Prevention Tips:
Most Burglary of Motor Vehicles occur because people make it too easy for the criminals and the crime opportunist. There are easy steps you could take to hopefully avoid being victim to this crime.
- Hide your valuables. Even an empty bag could cause someone to be curious enough to see what’s in it. Other items that may catch one’s attention: loose change, a GPS and/or GPS mount, a purse, a wallet, phone chargers, jackets, etc.). Try to keep your car as close to the way you brought it home – almost empty!
- Take your keys and never leave a second set in your vehicle. Twenty percent of stolen vehicles had keys inside them, making the theft even easier
- Lock your car - some criminals are out there just looking for a crime of opportunity and an unlocked car is an easy target!
- Park in well-lit or heavily-trafficked areas. Thieves do not like witnesses. Find an attended lot or park in the garage if possible
- Never leave your car running unattended. Cars are often stolen at convenience stores, gas stations or when an owner leaves the vehicle running to warm it up
- Install an anti-theft device
More news from Irving Weekly:
No comments yet.