This Hallowreads, don't forget to pick up a free copy of the Turn of the Screw at any Irving Public Library while supplies last. Then join in crafts, coloring and a book discussion not for the faint of heart. This short story centers around a young governess who is sent to Bly, a large country estate, to care for two children. She has strict instructions from their guardian never to write to him, never to ask about the history of the house, and never to abandon the children. It isn’t long before the Governess starts to see apparitions around the grounds.
When she describes the sightings, they are identified by the housekeeper as the previous governess and former valet, who both died not long ago. As the children’s behavior grows increasingly strange, the Governess becomes convinced that these ghosts have returned to claim Miles and Flora – and vows to protect them. But are the phantoms real, or is it all in the Governess’ fevered imagination?
Teens and adults are welcome to drop in, if you dare, to one of the many events planned this October inspired by the Count during the 2019 Hallowreads:
- Noon Oct. 6, South Irving Library | Midweek Mysteries: The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
- 7 p.m. Oct. 11, Valley Ranch Library | Color Me Calm: Ghost Themes
- 2 p.m. Oct. 15, West Irving Library | Craftastic!: Eerie Art
- 4 p.m. Oct. 16 , Valley Ranch Library | Craftastic!: Canvas Painting
- 6:30 p.m. Oct. 19, South Irving Library | Craftastic!: Deco Ghost Wreath
- 4 p.m. Oct. 23, Valley Ranch Library | Craftastic!: Ghost Door Decoration
- 7 p.m. Oct. 25, Valley Ranch Library | Color Me Calm: Ghost Themes
- 7 p.m. Oct. 26, West Irving Library | Unicorns in Space: The Turn of the Screw
- 4 p.m. Oct. 30, Valley Ranch Library | Book Discussion of Henry James’s the Turn of the Screw