A Texas man is dead after an accident involving fireworks.
It happened Tuesday, July 5, just after midnight, outside of a home in San Antonio.
Witnesses told police Pablo Ruiz had been drinking when he decided to light a "mortar-style" firework from the top of his head.
Investigators said the firework exploded from the bottom of the tube and pierced Ruiz's skull, multiple reports indicated. The explosion resulted in the 43-year-old's almost-sudden death, police said.
The New York Post said when police officers arrived at the residential area in the 800 block of Harriman Place, Ruiz was suffering from "severe head trauma with brain matter exposed from his skull." He was unresponsive and died shortly after medics arrived. He was later officially identified by the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office.