School is back in session this month, and residents are reminded that the use of cellphones while driving in active school zones is prohibited. Motorists cannot engage in calls by talking, dialing or listening on a hand-held mobile device, nor can they enter or read text or email messages.
- Hand-held cellphones
- Personal digital assistants (PDAs)
- Other electronic communications devices
Violation of the ordinance is a Class C misdemeanor. Motorists can use hands-free devices to talk legally on their cellphones in school zones. Drivers may also use their cellphones in certain emergency situations including fire, police and ambulance calls.
Additionally, the Irving Police Department reminds drivers to:
- Stay alert and slow down.
- Follow school zone speed limits.
- Stop for school buses when red lights are flashing or a stop-arm sign is visible.