Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Irving Weekly Title

Local News

When is a Building Permit Needed in Irving?

The City of Irving Inspections Department reminds residents that permits are required to erect, alter, move, enlarge, replace, demolish or repair a structure or building.

Residents should verify that contractors have obtained proper permits for any work being done. Permits and inspections are required whether the work is done by a contractor or a homeowner. If permits are not obtained, the safety and economic value of the home, building or infrastructure could be affected. It also could delay selling a home or result in fines being assessed.

Once the permit is issued, the City of Irving Inspections Department will conduct inspections to ensure the work meets city codes and ordinances.


Listed below are structures or building alterations that require a permit.

  • Accessory buildings (sheds, arbors, pergolas, etc.) 
  • Adding to or altering a garage or carport 
  • Additions to a house 
  • Decks more than 30 inches in height 
  • Fences 
  • Flatwork or paving, including a driveway or approach at the street 
  • Garage conversions to living space 
  • New electrical wiring, plumbing, heating or air conditioning, or running new lines or pipes 
  • Patio covers 
  • Pools, spas or hot tubs (in-ground and above ground) 
  • Portable buildings or sheds greater than 6 feet in any dimension, including height 
  • Remodeling or altering any structure (adding or
  • removing a wall) 
  • Reroofing 
  • Retaining walls more than 30 inches in height 
  • Solar panels 
  • Water heaters


  • Cosmetic work such as painting, cabinet work or flooring (carpet or tile).
  • Replacing fixtures or appliances at existing connections (except water heaters).

To obtain a permit, bring a floor plan of the alteration, permit application and fee to the Inspections Department, 825 W. Irving Blvd. Residents also can submit applications through email. For application, fee schedules or more information, visit Inspections or call (972) 721-2371.

You May Also Like