After Simone Biles stepped away from the U.S. women’s gymnastics team in the all-around contest earlier this week, people around the world have continued to elevate conversations surrounding mental health especially in competitive sports.
"Balancing the pressure to succeed does not come easy, many of the athletes explained, and the need to prioritize their health while elevating conversations surrounding mental health is now more crucial than ever.", USA Today article.
If you or someone you know is experiencing mental health issues - not an emergency - the following organizations have trained professionals who can help. For emegencies, don't wait call 9-1-1.
- Irving Family Advocacy Center | Domestic Violence (972) 721-6560
- NTBHA COVID-19 Mental Health Support | (833) 251-7544
- Texas DSHS Statewide COVID-19 Mental Health Support Line | (833) 986-1919
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline | (800) 723-8255
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline | text LOVEIS to 22-522
- Crisis Text Line | Text HOME to 741-741
- Disaster Distress Helpline | (800) 985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746
- The Trevor Project (for LGBTQ+ youth) | text START to 678-678
- National Alliance on Mental Health