The City of Irving Housing and Redevelopment Division is calling for volunteers to participate in the 2024 Point-in-Time (PIT) count. Scheduled for January 25, the PIT count aims to survey and take a census of unhoused residents across Dallas and Collin Counties.
This annual event is mandated by federal law to help communities gauge the extent of homelessness, identify changing trends, and measure the success of initiatives in making homelessness rare, brief, and nonrecurring. The PIT count is crucial for understanding the challenges faced by individuals experiencing homelessness and shaping effective strategies to address their needs.
The event also serves as a poignant reminder that in Dallas and Collin Counties, every individual's well-being matters. By joining forces, volunteers and community members demonstrate a commitment to inclusivity and the shared goal of working towards a community where homelessness is minimized and support is readily available.
Registration deadline is Jan. 19. Follow the link to register: https://housingforwardntx.org/volunteer/
What to Expect on Event Day
- 5:30 p.m. – Team Check Begins
- 5:45 p.m. Volunteer Briefing Session
- 6 p.m. – Deploy, Search and Survey
- 10 p.m. – Return to Command Center
What to Wear or Bring
- Warm and comfortable clothing with closed-toed shoes.
- No expensive jewelry and are encouraged to not carry a purse or bag.
- No weapons. This is a non-carry event (except for public safety officers).
- Smart phone – must be willing to download the survey app.
- Staff will provide flashlights, pens, hand sanitizer, etc.
Count and Survey Procedures
- The survey will be conducted through the app Counting Us.
- Volunteer teams will search for and survey unhoused residents alongside an Irving Police Department officer
- At least one of your team members has access to the app loaded on their phone the night of the count.
Volunteers will receive additional details upon event registration.