Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Irving Weekly Title

Irving News

Irving Police Fatally Shoot Armed Man at Baylor Scott and White Medical Center

Irving Police shot and killed an armed man after he opened fire inside a patient room at the Baylor Scott and White Medical Center emergency wing in Irving TX.

One of the nurses went into a room to check on a patient when she noticed he had a gun.  She immediately contacted the police.

"It wasn't a situation where she walked in and someone's like, 'oh, I accidentally brought my gun in here.' That wouldn't have been alarming, right? She'd been like, 'Okay, well, we need to get that out of here.' It was his behavior with the possession of that firearm that caused her concern, and that's why she called the police department," said Irving police spokesman Robert Reeves.

A hospital police officer and an Irving police officer who was at the hospital on an unrelated call confronted the man. He shot one round at the officers, who fired back.

The 34-year-old man died from his injuries.

Police did not release his name and the incident remains under investigation. 

In a statement, Baylor Scott & White said, "We appreciate the swift response of the Irving Police Department, who are still onsite this evening. Patient care is continuing normally."

Update:  Irving Police have issued the following information release...

The Irving Police Department is investigating an officer involved shooting (OIS) that occurred at approximately 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 29, 2022, at 1901 N. MacArthur Blvd (Baylor Scott & White Hospital).

Michael McPhail, 34 years old, went to the hospital for a medical reason at approximately 7:00 p.m. and was waiting in one of the emergency rooms.

When a Baylor Scott & White hospital staff member checked on McPhail, she noticed his unusual behavior and that he had a handgun in his possession. This behavior was concerning, and she contacted a Baylor Police Officer. The hospital staff asked an Irving Police Officer who was at the hospital on an unrelated incident to assist.

McPhail was in his room, and officers were talking to McPhail to investigate the concern with the gun. McPhail fired a gunshot in the room. Additional Irving Officers arrived at the hospital.

As officers tried to talk McPhail into dropping the handgun, he pointed the gun at the officers and subsequently fired the gun at them. Those officers returned gunfire. McPhail succumbed to his injuries, and no one else was injured.


You May Also Like