Mary’s Playhouse was originally built as a chicken coup. In the 1920s it was converted as a playhouse for the young Mary Schulze. Mary was the daughter of C.P. and Virginia Schulze and the family lived in what we now call the Heritage House. As part of the Irving Heritage House First Sunday Tours, Mary’s Playhouse, located in the back garden area of the Heritage House, 303 South O’Connor, will be open for free public tours on the first Sunday of the months through December. The next tour is Sunday, August 7 from 3pm -5pm.
Mary used the playhouse for her creative interests of painting and writing as well as meditation. A number of the toys on display in the playhouse belonged to Mary and her brother Charles.
The Heritage House was built in 1912 and is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark. Each family on the tours will receive a complimentary copy of Irving’s history book Irving, Texas: From Rails to Wings, by Norma Stanton, while supplies last.