Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Irving Weekly Title

Dallas, Texas News

Two Nurses Killed at Dallas Methodist Hospital; Gunman Arrested

At around 11:00am today, multiple agencies including the Methodist Health System Police Department, Dallas Police Department, and Dallas Fire Rescue responded to an active shooter at Methodist Dallas Medical Center, 1441 N. Beckley Avenue.

A man armed with a gun shot two hospital employees on an upper floor of the hospital. A Methodist Health System police officer responded to the threat and shot the gunman at least once, injuring him. Both hospital employees were treated at the facility; however, their injuries were too severe. Both have been pronounced dead.

The suspect was transported to another hospital for treatment. His condition has not been released.

Police are still investigating the circumstances surrounding this shooting. There are unofficial reports that the shooting stemmed from an encounter in the Labor and Delivery floor of the facility.

Following a preliminary investigation, Methodist Health System Police arrested Nestor Hernandez, 30, for Capital Murder. Hernandez is currently on parole for aggravated robbery and had an active ankle monitor.

The shooting remains under investigation.

UPDATE:  The victims were identified as Jacqueline Ama Pokuaa, 45, and Katie Flowers, 63.   Initially, police had reported that they were two nurses, but have now corrected that to be a nurse and a case worker.   The gunman was identified as Nestor Oswaldo Hernandez, 30.  

In the arrest warrant affidavit, Police said that Hernandez accused his girlfriend of cheating and repeatedly struck her head with a handgun while her newborn baby was in the room. He shot the first victim when she walked into the room and then the second when she looked into the room after hearing the gunshot.

Methodist police Sgt. Robert Rangel heard the shots and saw when Flowers was shot.  Rangel called for backup and then shot Hernandez when he saw him exiting the room, hitting him in the leg.  Hernandez surrendered to police after a shot standoff. 


You May Also Like