The City of Irving Housing and Redevelopment Division needs Irving residents to volunteer for the 2023 Point-in-Time (PIT) count. Scheduled for the night of Jan. 26, the PIT count is a search and survey event that takes a census of unhoused residents across Dallas and Collin Counties. The PIT count, is a requirement under Federal Law, and helps communities understand the extent of homelessness, changing trends, and the measure of their success in making homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring. It’s also an important reminder that in Dallas and Collin Counties, everybody counts. Registration deadline in Jan. 22.
Follow the link to register: https://housingforward.pointintime.info/.
What to expect on event day.
- 5:30 p.m. – Team Check Begins
- 5:45 p.m. Volunteer Briefing Session
- 6 p.m. – Deploy, Search and Survey
- 10 p.m. – Return to Command Center
What to Wear or Bring:
- Warm and comfortable clothing with closed-toed shoes.
- No expensive jewelry and are encouraged to not carry a purse or bag.
- No weapons. This is a non-carry event (except for public safety officers).
- Smart phone – must be willing to download the survey app.
- Staff will provide flashlights, pens, hand sanitizer, etc.
How will we count and survey:
- The survey will be conducted through the app Counting Us.
- Volunteer teams will search for and survey unhoused residents alongside an Irving Police Department officer
- At least one of your team members has access to the app loaded on their phone the night of the count.
Additional details will be provided to volunteers upon registration for the event.