The City of Irving, along with the rest of the Dallas-Fort Worth region, can expect wet, wintry conditions with rain and/or sleet beginning Monday afternoon, Jan. 30, through 6 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 1, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).
The City of Irving Streets Department is ready to act in the event of ice on the roadways. Residents are advised to turn off sprinkler systems and bring in pets.
The NWS has issued a winter storm warning for the North Texas region through 6 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 1. Significant impacts to travel may begin as early as Monday afternoon and continue through at least Tuesday night, Jan. 31. Elevated surfaces such as bridges and overpasses will likely be the first to become icy, slick, and hazardous as temperatures hover around or below freezing. If you must travel, slow down and use extreme caution, particularly when approaching bridges and overpasses.
As the winter weather forecast may impact power and safety conditions, residents are encouraged to check on their neighbors and loved ones in the area — particularly senior citizens. For up-to-date information and alerts, residents also should tune into their local news stations, social media and the National Weather Service Fort Worth website, Weather.gov/fwd/.
TIPS FOR RESIDENTS
- Outside water service: Turn off sprinklers, disconnect and drain hoses and cover outdoor faucets and exposed pipes.
- Pets: If possible, bring inside for the duration of the event. Provide warm shelters if unable to bring pets indoors.
- Power: Prepare for electricity outages. Contact Oncor to report power outages.
- City of Irving Water Department Emergency: Email or call (972) 721-2281 or (972) 721-2664.
- Atmos Report a Gas Emergency: (866) 322-8667
- 24/7 Electricity Outage Information: Find outage information
- Report a Power Outage – toll-free, 24/7 hotline:(888) 313-6862 or (888) 313-4747
- Report a Power Outage online: Report power outages
- Text Oncor about a Power Outage: The service requires preregistration.
- Text ‘reg’ to 66267 (ONCOR) to register. Please have either your ESID or the telephone number listed on your account and your ZIP code to complete registration.
- Text ‘out’ to 66267 (ONCOR) to report your outage.
- Text ‘stat’ to 66267 (ONCOR) to receive an update on your outage.
- Oncor Chronic Care Customer Application: Learn more
- Spectrum Support Storm Center
During this inclement weather event, general updates on city operations will be available at CityofIrving.org, on the city’s Twitter feed (twitter.com/thecityofirving) and Facebook page (facebook.com/thecityofirving). Visit the Emergency Winter Weather Resources page for information on contacting resources such as TxDOT and DART. A report on east Dallas to Greenville weather related news is available for residents.