The Irving Fire Department issues a warning with life-saving tips following a deadly fire in New York City.
The statement is as follows: "A tragic, deadly fire in the Bronx is a sober reminder for us all to be safe while staying warm this winter. The FDNY Fire Marshals determined the cause of the 5-alarm fire to be accidental – a malfunctioning space heater."
Remember to follow these tips if using a space heater:
- Space heaters need space. Be sure to keep your space heater at least 3 ft. from bedding, curtains and other materials.
- Avoid using electric space heaters in the bathroom or other areas where they may come in contact with water.
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater, and turn off/unplug the heater when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Purchase a space heater with a thermostat and automatic shut-off, and make sure it includes the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Mark.
From New York City Fire Department (FDNY): “This is a horrific, horrific, painful moment for the City of New York. The impact of this fire is going to really bring a level of pain and despair to our city. We have over 32 people who have life-threatening injuries, we have nine serious injuries, and 22 injuries that are non-life-threatening. We have one member of service who was also removed to the hospital. This is going to be one of the worst fires we have witnessed during modern times. I want to thank the FDNY, NYPD and EMS,” said Mayor Eric Adams from the scene of this morning’s 5-alarm fire at 333 East 181 Street in the Bronx. FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said, “This is indeed tragic. Units arrived within three minutes for a call of a fire in a duplex apartment. They were met in the hallway with this fire, very heavy smoke very heavy fire. Units pushed in. The smoke extended the entire height of the building, which is very unusual. Members found victims on every floor and in stairwells and were taking them out in cardiac and respiratory arrest. As the mayor stated, 32 people were transported to hospitals in life-threatening condition. That is unprecedented in our city. How the fire started we don’t know yet, it will be investigated by FDNY Fire Marshals. What we do know is the door to the fire apartment was left open which allowed the fire and smoke to spread. This fire took it’s toll on our city.”